Anybody who’s ever been to the Forge of Souls has probably seen Bronjahm, the Godfather of Souls. And anybody with a brain in their head will probably be able to figure out that Bronjahm is really a tribute to James Brown, the Godfather of Soul.
But what’s really cool is just how much work Blizzard put into this boss character. In addition to looking like James Brown and making a lot of James Brown-style noises (“Wabadoooo”) look at his loot tables:
- Lucky Old Sun, named after his song “That Lucky Old Sun”.
- Bewildering Shoulderpads, named after his song “Bewildered”.
- Seven Stormy Mornings, named after his song “Stormy Monday”.
- Minister's Number One Legplates, from his nicknames “Soul Brother Number One” and “Minister of The New New Super Heavy Funk”.
- Cold Sweat Grips, from the song “Cold Sweat”.
- Papa's Brand New Bag, from the song “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag”.
- Nighttime from the song “Night Time is the Right Time”.
- Papa's Brand New Knife, possibly a reference to when Brown attacked a repairman with a steak knife.
- Love's Prisoner, from the song “Prisoner of Love”.
- Weeping Gauntlets, from either “Oh Baby Don’t You Weep” or “Willow Weep For Me”.
- Eyes of Bewilderment, after “Bewildered” again.
Then, of course, there’s the music that plays when you fight him. If you’re like me and have the music turned off, you probably missed this. Just type it into the game and listen.
I love Blizzard.